Timeline of Saint-Charles-sur-Richelieu
This page contains an image that weights 146kb. Please wait while the image loads. Timeline of Saint-Charles-sur-Richelieu
1642 - Founding of Montreal by Paul Chemedey de Maisonneuve
1695 - Saint-Charles-Sur-Richelieu is granted to Zacharie-François Hertel, Sieur de la Fresnière (March 1st, 1695)
1743 - Seigneurie sold to Sieur Joseph Marchand
1755 - The Conquest (deportation of the Acadians)
1763 - France cedes Canada to England in the Treaty of Paris
1766 - Seigneurie sold to Jean Jennison
1783 - Construction of the Soeur de la Congrégation de Notre-Dame convent
1795 - Seigneurie sold to James Walker
1802 - Seigneurie sold to Andrew Winkeltoss
1812 - Construction of first school for girls
1813 - Seigneurie sold to Dominique Debartz
1820 - Construction of first church
1824 - Construction of École de la Fabrique
1834 - Cholera epidemic
1837 - Defeat of the Patriots in Saint-Charles
1837 - Town sacked by English Army (November 25, 1837)
1875 - First water distribution system
1890 - Diphtheria epidemic
1896 - Construction of a new school on Union Street
1908 - Construction of Soeurs de la Présentation de Marie convent, later used as a school
1916 - First bank opens
1922 - Church destroyed by fire
1924 - Church rebuilt
1925 - Advent of electricity
1931 - Post office opens
1954 - Présentation de Marie nuns leave the convent
1960 - Construction of Saint-Charles Boromée school
1980 to 1991 - "Molson" summer theatre
1729 - First seigneurial landgrants
1892 - Destructive tornado
1901 - Major flood
1906 - The Great Fire (October 11, 1906). Destruction of 21 buildings, including the school.
1934 - Major flood
1947 - A tornado destroys the fire pump station
1971 - Flood
1977 - Flood
1993 - Flood
1994 - Devastating tornado. One death, 36 houses damaged.
2000 - 30% of area is forested