Come and Visit the Trait-Carré

Image Description / Transcription
Planche 1 This fine two-and-a-half-storey stone building was built around 1740 by the Jesuits, who at that time were the seigneurs of the site. The old watermill has recently been restored and belongs to the Borough of Charlesbourg, which has turned it into a historical interpretation and tourist information centre. The Moulin des Jésuites offers exhibitions, concerts, and group educational activities.
Planche 2 This roughly plastered rubble-stone house has symmetrical windows and projecting eaves. It dates back to 1833.
Planche 3 Built in 1824 and restored in 1977, this log house is currently occupied by the Trait-Carré art gallery.
Planche 4 Erected around 1756, the Duhaut House is a rubble-stone structure covered with rough plaster. It stands out because of its steeply sloping roof.
Planche 5 This large house, built in 1710, was the property of the Marist Brothers from 1945 to 1985. Of log construction, it is covered by a curved roof.
Planche 6 This old log farmhouse with a mansard roof was put up in 1756. Note the interesting shed with the same type of roof as the house.
Planche 7 Built by Joseph Ampleman in 1877, this Regency-style bourgeois residence still has its stable. It was successively home to Dr. Grondin and Dr. Beaudet.
Planche 8 This Québec-style house, erected in the late 19th century, belonged to Léopold Pageau. The Pageau family has been in the shoemaking and repair business for generations.
Planche 9 This small working-class, Québec-style house was built around 1896. It was occupied for many years by the Martineau family.
Planche 10 Constructed around 1830, this old rubble-stone, roughly plastered rural house was the residence of the first mayor of the Town of Charlesbourg, Émile Gauthier.
Planche 11 The Cloutier-Lauzière House has a stone façade and perfectly symmetrical windows. It was built in 1866.
Planche 12 This property includes a log house (erected around 1756), a smaller house with an adjoining shed, a barn, and a dairy with a butterfly roof.
Planche 14 The convent of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd was constructed in 1883 and aptly represents the Second Empire style in Québec. It also served as a girls' boarding school. Note the stately roof.
Planche 15 This impressive structure, put up in 1876, is Second Empire in style. The main features that reflect this style are the mansard roof and the long veranda running along all sides.
Planche 16 Sacré-Coeur Park was laid out in 1919 on the site of the Trait-Carré's first cemetery and first stone church. The monument is the work of the sculptor Alfred Laliberté.
Planche 17 Built in 1887, this second sacristy has a mansarded upper storey containing the congregation's chapel. The grand sacristy has housed a permanent exhibition, St-Charles-Borromée, un trésor, une communauté, since 2003.
Planche 18 The parish was dedicated to St. Charles Borromée as early as 1670. The current church, built between 1827 and 1830 to Thomas Baillargé's plans, replaced the one erected in 1693. A new chapel designed by David Ouellet was added in 1886. This heritage monument boasts several works of art, including statues of St. Pierre and St. Paul (1742) by Pierre-Noël Levasseur and a statue of the Education of the Virgin (1879) by Jean-Baptiste Côté.
Planche 19 This building was once a cultural centre of the Town of Charlesbourg. It was built in 1925.
Planche 20 Erected in 1856, this wooden building with a mansard roof was successively home to a bakery, a general store, a post office, and a seed and honey business run by Jacques-Ferdinand Verret.
Planche 21 This building, constructed in 1904 and restored in 1980, was formerly a boy's school run by the Marist Brothers. It now contains the Charlesbourg library.
Planche 22 This house dating back to 1825 has two parts: one in stone with gables and the other in wood with a hipped roof. The middle dormer is impressively large.
Planche 23 Of log construction, the Éphraïm-Bédard House was built around 1828 and restored in 1986. It is owned by the City of Québec.
Planche 24 Built around 1860, this house served prior to 1900 as Charlesbourg's first post office.
Planche 25 The Charles-Pageau House was erected in the early years of the 19th century for Charles Pageau, Junior, the son of Jean-Ignace Pageau. Both it and the neighbouring house were built on land granted by the Jesuits in 1665 to the ancestor of the Pageau family, Thomas Pageau.
Planche 26 This house was built in 1725 on the land of the Beaumont family's ancestor, Vincent Beaumont. It remained in the family until 1924.
Planche 27 Probably dating back to 1711, this exceptional house skilfully combines influences from three different periods. The features associated with each period are easy to pick out. First, the solid stone walls of the original structure are typical of the French-style house. Second, the mansard frame added when the roof was altered is derived from the Second Empire style. Third, the conversion of the attic into a living space with a separate access for independent tenants testifies to changing lifestyles and a new socio-economic context.